Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dum...dum....da...dummm.............


Well the week has finally arrived.  We started packing last night, the to-do list is down to it's last to-dos, and I'm fielding about 100 questions a day.  I know when all the family and bridal party are arriving from out-of-town, when the caterer is coming, when the dj is coming, what shoes and clothes everyone is wearing, how many chairs are going where, what the kids are eating, who's watching them, when my dye-job-gone-wrong hair is getting fixed, what we're eating and drinking, who's serving it, and somewhere in there I'm figuring out where I'm supposed to be and how I'm getting to and fro.  I also now clearly know why people elope. 

I'm a little neurotic.  This is not new information.  My neurosis is only increased by people like the tuxedo rental guy (the grown-up guys are wearing suits, we're only renting vests and ties for the little guys) fail to put in the order and I only find out because I double-checked.  Score one for the neurotic double-checking bride. 

I'm excited to be getting married, leaving the single life behind does not evoke feelings of grief or entrapment for me like it does some.  I enjoyed it enough to bid it a fond farewell, and hated it enough not to miss it even a little.  I'm very much in love with NG, I love and enjoy (most of the time) TD, and I'm looking forward to expanding our family and growing old together. 

I'm sure it will be an adventure.  It already has been and I don't see that changing.  TD will be a teenager before we know it, and I can't see that going smoothly.  I was a relatively easy teenager, I had nice friends, I never even required a curfew, so I'm not sure I'm prepared for having a teenage girl.  I have a lot of child-rearing knowledge, but putting it into practice when you only have (at best) 20% influence (we have her 40% of the time, I'm 1/2 of the couple), is a whole different story.  So we'll see.  Regardless, I'm sure we'll get through it.  It may not always be fun, but we're prone to laughing at ridiculousness, so hopefully our 50th anniversary will find us laughing in our rocking chairs and TD and her kids wondering what the hell we're laughing at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment