Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Soul Patch


Last night was my first date with Soul Patch. He has an actual personality and the willingness/ability to plan a good date. We met at Revolution, a Mediterranean restaurant in the NoDa section of Charlotte. (NoDa = North Davidson, it's an artsy area complete with a Dog Bar. My kind of place!) Prior to arriving, he sent me a text saying he had on a red shirt and shorts, making it easier to spot him. I thought he meant he had on a red shirt and red shorts, so I was momentarily concerned. Regardless, though, it was helpful information since pictures are only so good when it comes down to it.
As a side note, I have mixed feelings about texting prior to a date and texting early in a relationship in general. It can become a way to not call, kind of a short cut of sorts. Sometimes I think it can decrease intimacy, and sometimes I think it can create familiarity. Random tangent.
So anyway.........my initial impression was good. He looked like his pictures, height given seemed accurate, and believe me, these are not givens. Pictures from 15 years and 50lbs ago are not uncommon for either gender. As seems to be my pattern, he's balding and has facial hair. (Who knows what that's about.) He seemed nervous, which in moderation can be really endearing. Conversation was good, humor was good. We have some odd things in common, like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on NPR and the Daily Show. He likes the fact that Jon Stewart is my rock star boyfriend. Our politics seem pretty similar, music and beer tastes compatible. We decided to share a pizza, which can be a stumbling block. Ever tried to decide on pizza toppings with a friend? Try doing it on a first date. We had a remarkably easy time doing this, so I'm thinking baseline problem-solving skills are intact.
The after dinner plan was to go across the street to The Evening Muse to see Maia Sharp. Soul Patch is a music guy, and I'm all about that. I had checked out her MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/maiasharp) and loved it, so I was excited. He picked a loveseat for our seating, so my astute powers of observation told me he thought things were going well. She was really wonderful, very soulful, and not a little bitter! Right up my alley. We had a(nother) beer, listened to Maia, people watched, and just generally chilled. Easy to be around. He's a man with an imaginary drum set, and I think he was trying really hard not to play it too much. By the time she was done we were snuggled up and comfy.
Along the way, it came out that it was my birthday. At the end of the concert, I hit the bathroom (a necessity before a 45m drive home) and when I came out, he had gotten one of her CDs and was having it autographed for my birthday present. Today it occurred to me that I haven't had a birthday present from an (unrelated) man in years.
He's a demonstrative guy....huggy, touchy, hand on your back kind of guy. Not in a creepy way, in a good way. I assumed, given the aforementioned snuggling, that there would be a kiss when he walked me to my car. I could tell he thought this was a given, also, good to be on the same page. He goes to kiss me, nicely and appropriately, and then I swear he kissed me like a starving man eats a sandwich. And in a good way- interesting and unexpected.
We exchanged a few texts on the way home, and have exchanged a few today. I'm expecting a second date, but I haven't had a phone call yet (24 hours out) and no plans have been made. So we'll see. Stay tuned...........

No comments:

Post a Comment