Monday, October 5, 2009

The Big Meeting


Saturday was the day.  We, in our infinite adult wisdom, had planned it so that TD would be distracted by her grandfather visiting and the party we were having so it wouldn't be such a big deal.  We, in our infinite adult wisdom, totally underestimated TD.  She was not to be deterred.  She stuck to me like glue most of Saturday and all of Sunday.  We made smores, we made banana boats, we putted in the yard with golf clubs (at which time I stepped in a fire ant hill, not cool at all), we watched tv, she fell asleep across our laps at the campfire.  While I was cooking she was sitting on the counter talking.  If I was sitting on the deck, she was sitting beside me.  She almost followed me into the bathroom!  She wanted to know everything.........what do I do at work and why, how long have I known her dad and how many babies do I want to have if we get married, what's my favorite food, where did I meet her dad, why do I like football, and on and on and on.  I, in turn, got to hear about NG's previous girlfriends that TD has met, how they weren't very nice, how it "just didn't work out", and various and sundry things about her mom.  This appears to be her personality, and she doesn't get it from her dad. 

Saturday was a big day for me, since I met his daughter, his father, his aunt, and his cousin and his wife and their kids all in one fell swoop.  As his aunt was leaving she says to him "She's so cute!", not knowing I was literally standing right beside him.  We were outside at the campfire, so it wasn't bright, and she thought I had gone inside.  We all got a good chuckle out of that.  TD tells me Sunday that she likes me because I talk to her, then informing me that her mom doesn't talk to her, smokes, and is sometimes a brat.  All of these things apparently go together in TD's mind.  I think my reply was something brilliant like "Oh." 

All in all, I think it went really well.  I'm very interested to see if there's any fallout from it, or more realistically, what the fallout is, not if it will happen.  When she called her dad to say good night she wanted to say good night to me, too.  She's a very sweet little girl, sometimes has a sassy mouth, but generally very sweet.  So far so good.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great start!!! She sounds very bright...which is always a bonus in stepfamily situations...she'll see right through any bs. We'll see how that sassy mouth plays out as she becomes a teenager...{yikes!}.

    ReplyDelete