Friday, January 21, 2011

The Business of Being Born

In the past few weeks, I have been researching options for childbirth.  This may sound like an odd thing to do when one isn't pregnant, but what can I say, I'm a planner.  Luckily my lovely husband (which is still fun to say) knows this and just rolls with it, which frankly is all you can do once I get going on something.  So I've been reading reading reading, googling googling googling, and what do I find out?  The way we as women are intended to birth is, shock and dismay, the healthiest for everyone.  Of course there are exceptions, but about 85% of the time it would work like it should if we would only let it. 
A few statistics:  Save the Children (April 2006). This is the second worst newborn death rate in the developed world.
- Among 33 industrialized nations, the United States is tied with Hungary, Malta, Poland and Slovakia with a death rate of nearly 5 per 1,000 babies, according to a new report from
- The five countries with the lowest infant mortality rates in the March of Dimes report -- Japan, Singapore, Sweden, Finland and Norway – midwives were used as their main source of care for 70 percent of the birthing mothers.
- Cesarean-delivery rates are now at an all time high in the United States, standing at 1.2 million, or 29.1 percent of live births in 2004. The increase represents a 40 percent increase in the past 10 years. (In 1970 the rate was 5.5%) In several New York City-area hospitals, the Cesarean-delivery rate is even higher – over 40%.  In my research, I have found it to be about 38% at my local hospitals.
- A new report by the World Health Organization, published in the international medical journal, Lancet, identifies complications from cesarean surgery and anesthesia as the leading causes of maternal death in developed countries, including the United States.

I highly recommend that anyone pregnant or thinking about getting that way do some research.  You don't have to see the movie, that being said it was a lot easier for NG to take in the information that way.  He was HORRIFIED at the statistics, he had NOT A CLUE that we even had the option of birthing outside a hosptial.  The movie focuses on home births, and he was upset to discover from yours truly that attended homebirths are illegal in our state.  ILLEGAL.  We are strongly considering going to a neighboring state (only about a 30m drive) to a birthing center just so we can stay out of the hospital and avoid the cascade of interventions. 
TD is a cascade-of-interventions baby...........go to the hospital on the due date, get pitocin (fake hormones that your body isn't really that faked out by), need an epidural (because your body isn't really faked out), be unable to walk because of the epidural and the whole strapped-to-the-bed-with-monitors thing, don't eat anything but ice chips (since you're probably going to have major surgery), get totally exhausted, shockingly your labor fails to progress (since you're exhausted, stressed out, and fighting the force of gravity), then end up with a C-section.  There are so many things wrong with that process that it's hard to even wrap my head around. 
First of all, NO ONE straps me to a bed.  Unacceptable.  I can check my email while I sit in the creek at my dad's, you can't tell me the monitors can't be wireless, too.  Second, generally babies will come out when they're good and ready to come out, not when the doctor says it's time.  Babies don't have little tiny calendars in there with their due dates circled in red.  This tirade of mine just scratches the surface of the problems inherent in medicalized birth.
It's time to stop thinking doctors know everything.  It's time to stop looking at pregnancy as an illness.  A huge part of me just wants to scream about the destruction of personal power inherent to being strapped to a bed with an (often male) authority figure messing with your girl parts telling you you've failed.


Here are just a couple of the great blogs out there on the subject:

Well Rounded Birth Prep
Navelgazing Midwife

8 comments:

  1. As an infertile, childless stepmom for 11 years, I just wanted to add my 2 cents here. Reading this takes me back to a time when I had baby fever and couldn't wait to get pregnant and add to our family. Fact is: it doesn't always work out the way you plan. I have other stepmom blogging friends who have found out they were unable to conceive or have had multiple miscarriages and It. Can. Be. Devastating. So I say this: Please, before you start researching childbirth methods, get pregnant. I hope you can...I really do. I just think you are putting the cart WAY ahead of the horse here.

    P.S. I have also read about many home births that resulted in serious complications where the infant died. Had they been in a hospital, the baby might have had a chance at life. If/when you DO get pregnant, I hope you consider that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Wayne, it's kind of you to care about TM, but before throwing out fearmongering comments such as "many homebirths...serious complications... infant died," it would be more helpful to cite research statistics than anecdotes. Here are a few that I have gathered (ongoing collection):
    http://www.delicious.com/WellRoundedBirthPrep/homebirth+safety

    20+ years of research cite that for healthy, low-risk mothers who are receiving prenatal care, homebirth with midwives is as safe as a hospital birth with far fewer risks of intervention.

    TM, thank you for the link! One of my goals for 2011 is to blog more faithfully. I'd like to post at least 8 times per month. Come join the conversation any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave birth to 5 monsters... I mean children.

    All I can tell you is- my favorite births were the ones in the hospital and with an epidural. Think that it's going to be all stars and violins and I wish you luck. My first one was over 9 pounds and they had to pull her out with a vacuum. She would have died if I hadn't of gotten to the hospital.

    I wish you the best in getting pregnant and I hope you decide on a way that works for you and hubby. Me, personally - I'll take drugs and pain relief any day. I've done it both ways and I like being able to hold my baby afterwards not be so torn up and ripped apart that all I want to do is sleep. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, I think its important to talk about these things. Just to clarify, Sarah, I'm Courtney. TM is the ex wife. I've really enjoyed reading your past blogs and will continue to keep up with you as I travel this road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! I knew you were Courtney but tried to read the sidebar & didn't know if you revealed your real name on your blog, so I was afraid to "out" you if you used a screenname for your blog, so I looked on the sidebar to see if you had a nickname & accidentally misunderstood.

    I got a very disgruntled email from someone who read my comment above (I'll withhold the name) and I'm hoping to clarify in an upcoming blog. I apologize if I replied hastily and gave the wrong impression. My goal--my heart's desire--is to give evidence-based information to help families make empowered decisions based on what's best for them. I'm not trying to convince anyone where or how to birth, just to expose the facts about birth and birth locations, so that mothers can make evidence-based decisions rather than fear-based decisions.

    All the best to you, Courtney, as you begin your journey! I'm happy to support you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and by the way, if you are considering an out-of-hospital birth, another option (besides driving to the out-of-state birth center) is driving just beyond the state line to have a "homebirth" in a hotel with a midwife who can legally attend births in that state. Many people have done this. Getting a jacuzzi suite opens up a great option for waterbirth, and if you're concerned about cleanliness (who wouldn't be?), it's easy enough to bring your own Clorox and have someone bleach the tub & swipe down the fixtures before you check in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your comments Sarah. I really appreciate your support and education. I had no idea there were options until I started really researching it, and your website has been so helpful in that education. Thanks to you and bloggers like you, I have a whole new perspective on birth. Realistic natural birth that includes neither stars nor violins. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Courtney - I really enjoyed that documentary too. I thought it was super interesting. Just keep in mind that it is very slanted, and be sure to research all alternatives when you do get pregnant. In our small town, for instance, we only have one ambulance. If I were to have a homebirth that went awry and that ambulance was on call at a heart attack, then I would have to rely on other methods of getting immediate medical attention. Though homebirth really interests me (if I ever carry a pregnancy to term), I'm personally not willing to take that risk in our particular town. Though, that's not to say you can't be a beast about your natural birth plan if you do decide to deliver in the hospital! You just want to make sure you have all your bases covered, which it sounds like you are doing.
    Again, wishing you the best of luck in your journey to expand your family.

    ReplyDelete