Sunday, January 30, 2011

Worst conference EVER!

Picture this.......you're invited to spend 4 days in Miami in the middle of January for a work "summit".  The hotel is on the beach, it's going to be in the 70s, and the organizers are aware that most people coming to the meeting live in cold climates.  Given this, and given that I work in a university setting that tends to be holistic and wellness focused, one would think we would have had a decent balance of work and play.  One would be wrong.  Very very excruciatingly wrong.  Instead, we spent 11.5 hours INSIDE in a conference room talking about "student learning outcomes".  While I understand the importance of setting goals and measuring their effectiveness, that's just basic practice in my world, I didn't need 30+ hours of training on it.  To make matters worse, one of the presenters requested we turn off our cell phones.  That by  itself isn't a big problem, but then he said he wasn't above TAKING THEM AWAY from people.  Ummmm.....that's funny, you don't look like my dad!  Wow I was pissed.  Here we are, in the middle of trying to get a loan from the bank to renovate the house, I have multiple situations with students at work, and you're going to TAKE MY PHONE AWAY?  Ummmmm....see....just because learning outcomes are the whole of your life doesn't mean they're the whole of mine.  So we spent 4 days in Miami and not quite an hour on the beach the day we left.  Unacceptable.

2 comments:

  1. I HATE it when I go to conferences that are like that. At least I've never had someone threaten to take away my cellphone. ARGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. S.U.C.K.

    I would be irate.

    And I DON'T deal with people taking away my phone. At all. I have almost gotten into big trouble at work because of it.

    I'm also a member of an instant family - though we're going on 4 years now. Excited to have foung your blog!

    ReplyDelete