Monday, November 8, 2010

Busy busy busy

Married life sure is off to a running start.  First NG's test, then getting my house emptied and clean for renters, now getting finances settled and getting NG's house family-ready.  It's a 1960s ranch, and everything is original.  That's a good thing when it comes to floors, not such a good thing when it comes to windows and the fact that they apparently didn't believe in insulation.  So yesterday, we bought and entire pallet of insulation at Lowe's.  They had to bring the forklift out to get it (fascinating process by the way).  We got goggles and respirators, dressed in nasty clothes and under the house we went.  I looked way less cute than the girl in the picture above.  NG, being the handy guy he is, has a pair of coveralls.  They're green.  He looks like Gumby and it actually makes me giggle every time he puts them on.  I'm not a big fan of crawlspaces or respirators, but it's not really fair for NG to do all the dirty work just because he's a guy.  I'm sure there are women out there who would pull the girl card and refuse to go under the house, frankly I think it surprised NG that I got under there with him, I just refuse to be that girl.  I will sometimes request that he kill bugs, only because I don't like to hear them crunch, but 9 times out of 10 I kill my own.  I'm not a dependent sort of woman, and I want TD  to see that being prissy and dependent is optional. 
Tangent aside, I'm keeping my handywoman persona close by.  We have windows to put in and an addition to build.  The economy being what it is, we're totally in DIY territory.  How much of an addition we build depends on the banks and a horrible thing called negative equity.  We'd like to have children before we're both too old to chase them, but the two bedroom two bath thing isn't going to cut it with a 40% kiddo on board.
Speaking of 40%, looks like we may be well on our way to 50%.  TM and NG decided to discuss it after the holidays, which seems totally logical since this time of year is a lot of back and forth anyway.  When NG broached the topic, her first statement was "changing child support isn't in my budget".  Hmmmm........so its about your budget and how much you would miss her (the excuse from last time they talked about this), does it matter what TD wants or is it about you and your needs?  Not that I'm totally self-less, mind you, but seriously?
Being the bright kid she is, TD has come up with her own new visitation schedule.  Right now, she is with us one night a week when she's with us that weekend, and two nights a week when she isn't.  It confused the hell out of me for a long time, but I'm finally, a whole year later getting used to it.  She wants to add a day to both of those.  Bright kid.  So she would be with us 2 days on the weeks she's with us that weekend, and 3 days on the weeks she is not with us that weekend.  What she doesn't understand, and hopefully won't for many years, is that if that happens her mother loses child support.  2+3+2(weekend)= 7 nights every 14 days = half time.  NG thinks he'll still have to pay, he's pretty pessimistic about the money part since it's been biting him in the butt for years now, but based on my rough calculations with the child support calculator, she may end up giving him money.  Now isn't that just a kick in the ass.

1 comment:

  1. just found your blog and looking forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete