Thursday, November 4, 2010

But I haven't even had my coffee!!!!!

It was a regular morning in our house.  Alarm went off early, snooze button and snuggling as is our routine.  NG woke TD up, assisted by the FO of course, and headed off for work.  We try to take turns taking her to school since it makes us both late for work, and he took her yesterday.  I like taking her, it's fun time for us to be together just us, and we have some fun traditions around it now, like watching Sunrise Earth on Discovery.  Love it. 
So I'm packing (going out of town this afternoon) and getting myself ready for work and here comes TD out of bed, sobbing.  Big tears. 
TD is not a drama cryer.  She does occasionally cry when she gets in trouble, but it's usually because her feelings are actually hurt or she feels really badly about what she did.  She doesn't cry to get out of trouble as far as I can tell.  Plus she wasn't even in trouble, she wasn't even out of bed yet, so I knew something was wrong.  She sobbed.....and she sobbed......and she sobbed......just heart breaking.  And I haven't even had my coffee.  There should be a rule about tears before coffee. 
I just sat with her and patted her until she could talk, and all she could get out was "I miss Daddy."  Even without my coffee, I knew she didn't mean in the present.  She misses her Daddy in general.  So I asked if she would like to be at our house more.  I didn't know if I should even go there, but she was so sincerely sad.  She said she would, and we talked about letting her dad and mom handle it.  I've heard NG tell her that if she wants to spend more time with us she should tell her mom.  I don't think that's appropriate, she's a kid, and that's grown-up stuff.  How on earth could we expect her to tell her mom she wants to spend LESS time with her?  Unfair. 
So we agreed that I would tell her dad, and she and her dad would talk about it, and he would talk to her mom.  I'm sure she and her mom will talk about it, and I think that's appropriate, I just don't think she should have to initiate the conversation and she doesn't want to.  We talked about different families having different schedules, how some do a week at a time (I'm a big fan of that I think, fewer transitions, more consistency), and some do as little as every other weekend.  I told her we would figure out what works for our family.
When I told NG about it, he was very happy (obviously).  He's going to talk to TD about it tonight.  He's had this conversation with TM before, and when more time with him comes up she says she won't do it because she would miss TD.  Ummmm....because NG doesn't miss her?  Come on.  We'll see what happens, I'm not holding my breath.  TM's whole life revolves around TD, I don't see her giving an inch (or 2-3 days a week in this case) without a fight.

1 comment:

  1. As a child of divorce, I understand the "missing daddy" thing. I agree that asking her to take the initiative and taking to TM about her situation would be hard for her.

    I was lucky in that my mom and dad got along so well outside of marriage. When I got older (around 12 or so) I was able to articulate to them where I needed to be when and why.

    That said, I knew I was better off and had more consistency with my mom and it hurt me to only see my dad on the weekends and maybe for one afternoon/evening a week, but I knew what was best for ME. I had to get to the point where I pleased MYSELF.

    Divorce is hard and it SUCKS for the kids--no matter how well the grown-ups behave. And, it seems as if TM isn't behaving that well...:oS

    ReplyDelete