Monday, November 15, 2010

The deer, the termites, and the dog

Another busy weekend!!!  We loaded the kiddo and the dog up and went to the farm for the weekend.  The Farm is my dad's farm, where I was raised and where we will raise our kids.  Right now we live in The City and h-a-t-e it most of the time.  The only reason we aren't trying to relocate faster is TD, we're going to wait until she's about 16 before we start trying to move, that way we can establish residency and give her two states' worth of schools for in-state tuition.  By the time that happens, our oldest (should all go according to plan) will be about ready for 1st grade.  Perfection. 
Anyway..........this was the opening weekend for deer hunting rifle season.  NG hasn't been able to hunt regularly since he moved to The City and it's something he enjoys.  Truth be told, he really just likes to go sit in the woods where it's quiet and drink coffee, if a deer happens by well, all the better.  I like venison, I'm happy to cook it and eat it, and I'm not interested in killing it or processing it.  At all.  NG is okay with that, he kills and cleans (which he did on Saturday, hooray!), I cook, everybody wins.
Just so happens my brother's kids were staying between the grandparents this weekend.  TD and my niece (who's 4) are big buddies and generally have fun together.  Overall, it was a great time, complete with a trip to the park and jumping in leaf piles. The niece is DEFIANT in a most impressive way sometimes, luckily this was horrifying to TD and she is unlikely to repeat that behavior given her reaction to my niece.  TD got a little sassy about wearing a hat outside (it was 30 degrees), but was just sullen about it after some stomping.  All in all the whole experience just made me super hopeful we'll have boys. 
We got back to The City and investigated the termite situation at my old house, which is currently being rented by an exterminator.  He's SUPER nice and that's such a big weight off my shoulders.  He showed me the evidence, which I had seen and just didn't know what it was.  As a public service, a picture of said evidence is to the right.  I have these tubes about every 3 feet along the walls of my garage.  Awesome.  Luckily, with tenant guy being friendly and an exterminator and all, is going to do the treatments with a good product on his off time and charge me about 1/2 what it would normally cost.  Works for me.  Still freakin' expensive, but cheaper than rebuilding the garage.
So we finally get home and settled, get TD to her mom's, make a pizza and have sat down to watch some tv and FO starts to freak out.  *ruff ruff*  *BARK BARK RUFF RUFF!*  *ruff ruff bark bark!!!!* *BARK BARK BARK*  Loosely translated, that means "Someone's in the driveway!  And it's not someone I know well!!!!  DO SOMETHING MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Then someone knocks on the door.  No one ever knocks on our door, scared the crap out of us. Turns out to be NG's cousin, dropping off wedding presents, and here I am in my pj's, no makeup, wet hair, no bra.  Awesome. 
And now we're back to another work week.  Funny enough, this is my 2nd to last full week of work until January.  Next week is Thanksgiving, not coming back to the office until Tuesday, then working the full 2nd week of December, then honeymoon, then the school closes the 16th and we don't come back until 1/3!  Love working in higher ed.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm insanely jealous you got to go home. I miss the mountains and peace and quiet like nobody's business. :sigh:

    I'm also glad to hear the exterminator isn't just trying to drum up some work. That is a huge relief. The termites, however, well, that just sucks. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete