Monday, November 22, 2010

Ice and ibuprofen

These are my two biggest friends right now.  3 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours, ice whenever I can, and I get to breathe without pain.  Hooray.  When we went to the bodyshop to sign for repairs today, I got a really clear idea of why my chest hurts so much.  I hit so hard the seatbelt came out of it's housing.  No wonder it hurts to breathe, I dislodged the seatbelt with my chest.
The police report came out and it's pretty clear it was my fault.  I still have no memory of hitting her, of seeing her, anything.  All I remember is getting smacked in the face with my airbag.  I don't know how it happened, I don't know how I didn't see her.  I wasn't distracted, I'm not one of those people who puts on makeup or plays with their phone in the car, I can only assume she was in my blindspot when I pulled out.  Not that anyone actually cares, the result is the same.
So now the fun starts..........insurance and probably lawyers.  We all know there are people in the world looking for easy money.  I don't know if she's one of those people or not.  I can hope and pray she isn't, and find a lawyer if she is.  We weren't on terribly good financial footing to begin with, and if she's an opportunist we're in deep trouble.  I feel really badly for NG.  Here he is minding his own business and now he has to cart me around, worrying about lawyers and our financial future.  The guilt is not insignificant, and it is a bit unexpected.  When it was me, it was just me, whatever happened only effected me for better or for worse (as they say).  I'm just glad we haven't had time to combine a lot of things, so hopefully the fact that my name isn't on his stuff (house, car, 401 (k), etc) will keep him in the clear if she decides to go for the throat.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon. Try not to add stress and guilt to your injury. Accidents can happen to anyone! Even NG :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! You are so lucky that is the worst of your injuries.

    Back in 2006, Brien totaled his Jeep, rear-ending a car when he was trying to merge. He was looking over his shoulder to find a hole to merge into and looked back and the guy in front of him had stopped dead on the ramp. There wasn't a thing he could do and he wound up hitting him.

    Although I was beyond sad the Jeep was gone--only one payment left, ONE!!--I was so grateful B was okay it didn't signify. I'm sure NG feels the same way.

    That said, the guy B crunched into was one of those opportunists. He was peeved his insurance company (OUR insurance company as well, for crying out loud) didn't total *his* vehicle, so he decided to sue us. Oddly enough, for an amount that would cover the cost of a brand new car. Hm.

    The insurance company took care of EVERYTHING. We had to worry about nothing. They would let us know periodically what was going on, but didn't bother us otherwise.

    It seems that guy's lawyers realized there was nothing they could do (one of those well-known personal injury lawyers who advertise on TV) because our insurance *wasn't* going to pay up and *he* hadn't been injured, so they dropped the case.

    Moral of the story: check with your insurance about how well you are covered and what you are covered for. Let THEM take on the stress of worry. B was the one at fault and we came out fine.

    Hang in there and try not to stress about it. (I know, easier said than done...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, in case you missed my post about it, I deactivated my FB account. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I saw that!!! So glad to have found you before you deactivated. :-)

    ReplyDelete